On the 20th July of 1626, Grandmaster Fra Antoine De Paule set up a new town which he named "PAULA" in his honour. The streets were laid on the grid plan, the first building a church dedicated to St. Ubaldesca, a sister in the Order of St. John. The town developed into a commercial centre adorned with gardens and open spaces.
As house foundations were being excavated, important prehistoric discoveries were uncovered. The Hypogeum, declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, is such a site. It is a labyrinthine complex of man-made rock-cut chambers extending some 11 metres below ground. It was used both as a burial site and as a temple. The Hypogeum is made up of three superimposed levels.