L-Għasri

Home

Print this page

L-Għasri

From “Wied il-Għasri” to “Wied tas-Seqer”, and from “Wied il-Mielaħ” to “Wied Sara”, lies the small village of Għasri – a typical gozitan village in the beautiful island of Calypso.
Għasri can be considered as the youngest of all gozitan villages since as regards to its population, it is the smallest. It is situated in the North West of the island and is about 2.5km from Victoria – the main city of Gozo.

Topographically, Għasri is characterized with the hillocks of Għammar and Gordan and also with the numerous valleys that swerve beneath these two small hills along terraced fields brimming with vegetation.
Għasri is renowned as an agriculture village where almost all its area is made up of fertile fields apart from small scattered built up areas and some arid rocks near the cliffs by the sea.
In terms of its parochial confines, Għasri is made up of only 2.880km.sq. while according to the Local Councils’ jurisdiction, its area is made up of 4.724km.sq. Thus, compared to other villages in Gozo, while its area is quite large, its population is the smallest in these islands.

Meaning of the Name : Għasri
According to A.E. Caruana in “Vocabulario Della Lingua Maltese”, the word “għasri” is a maltese name which is derived from the Semitic language meaning “għasar”.
Dunstan G. Bellanti in “Why Malta, Why Għawdex” says that the word “l-Għasri” is related to the olive trees in Gozo, just the same as Żejtun is related to to the center of olive trees in Malta. Oil from olive trees was produced in Għasri and thus the village name was derived from the verb “tagħsar”.

Godfrey Wettinger jgħid li jista’ jkun li l-isem tal-villaġġ ifisser ‘l-art tat-tagħsir’. Madankollu jista’ jkun li huwa xi isem personali jew laqam. L-istudjuż ta’ l-istorja J. Galea huwa ta’ l-istess fehma u jsostni li għasri huwa l-isem ta’ sid l-art li ġġib l-istess isem illum. Dan is-sid kien naturalment Musulman u għex probabbilment bejn l-1055 u l-1249.

       
View Larger Map

/table>