Il-Birgu (Città Vittoriosa)

Sptarijiet

Print this page

Due to the existence of St Catherine's Hospital run by the Dominican sisters from 1959 onwards, and one of the few general hospitals with gynaecological facilities and maternity wards, many mothers would give birth in Attard. Following the medical dispute of 1977, St. Catherine's ceased to operate as a hospital; it became instead a residential home for the elderly. St Catherine's Hospital used to occupy one hundred beds-thirty for maternity wards, seventy for surgical or gynaecological interventions. There are now about seventy elderly residents living permanently in this Residential Home, some of them from Attard; the rest of the complex is used by the Dominican sisters for congregational purposes.

Among other private clinics, one finds Mount Carmel Hospital which was opened in 1861 and was initially used as an asylum. Currently it is used for the treatment of mental illness using the progressive therapies and standards of nursing care used in developing countries. The hospital has an active social centre set up by the Friends of Attard Hospital, who also run a Summer House and organise parties for the inmates and their families.